Prayer is the way in which we talk to God. It is honest, authentic communication with the God of the universe. Our prayer life is an indicator of our dependence on God. It is also a reflection of the intimate relationship between the Creator and His created people (1 John 5:14-15). At BBC, we believe that every believer should have an active and dynamic habit of regularly communicating with God through prayer, fasting, and meditating on the Word of God.
Many of us want to pray. We want to see change in our lives, and we want to be transformed by the power of the Holy Spirit, but we struggle to find the time. We don't know what to say or how to deepen our relationship with God. Here's a little bit of what the Bible says:
- "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective." James 5:16
- "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6
- "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people." Ephesians 6:18
- “'Even now,' declares the LORD, 'return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.'” Joel 2:12
- “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:16-18